Monday 1 June 2015

Journal Entry: How Does It Compare with Other Things I Have Read?

How does it compare with other things I have read?

As a person that normally reads books such as The Hunger Games, Divergent, Max Ride and other books like that, with the occasional book like The Longest Ride, I'm not used to the Sci-Fi genre.

 It's a hard book to get into when you aren't used to the genre, I'm not going to lie. Unlike the Max Ride series, The Blade Runner starts off slow, giving a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of information, such as the fact that Deckard has a fake (machine) sheep, and that he wants his neighbor's Percheron colt (not that I wouldn't want a Percheron colt myself, as they are beautiful, strong and willing horses). The other thing that we learn is that most of the humans have emigrated to Mars, but there are still humans on earth. Comparing this book to Divergent, I'd say that they're both slower at the beginning (but Divergent is a more exciting slow) and that they both have the whole dystopian thing going on, and the same with The Hunger Games. Comparing it to The Longest Ride would be like comparing the Arctic and China, uninhabited vs. surpopulated, Country music and Bull Riders vs. Androids and Penfield Mood Machine. They're polar opposites, enough said.

All in all, it's been more boring than my other books, but keeping in mind that I'm only on chapter 3, I assume it'll speed up soon. (Well I hope)

3 comments:

  1. I understand exactly what you mean, this book has a long build up and a confusing introduction, however when the story further develops, the plot is fairly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean! But I promise as you go further into the book, everything falls into its place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the first few chapters can be seen as boring however, i would argue that they are vital to the telling of the story. They act to show us the world based around our main protagonist and give an overall feel to the novel. The story wouldn't make sense if not for the telling of the important of life in the early chapters.

    ReplyDelete