Thursday 4 June 2015

Christina: Journal Entry #2

"A special, a chickenhead; what do I know? I can't marry and I can't emigrate and the dust will eventually kill me. I have nothing to offer." (page 62) John R. Isidore is a chickenhead, they are treated as second-class citizens, with no respect and no value to the world. In a way, this reminds me of how we used to treat the "disabled". I used quotation marks because I believe they are, in fact not disabled, but rather abled in a different way. Blade Runner was written in 1968, but the book's setting takes place in 2021. By then, I would have thought looking down towards the "disabled" would be shameful and rude, not accepted and accustomed. As time passes, I believe we are attempting and succeeding to reconfigure what society has shaped. For example, same-sex marriage. It was always looked down on but since 2001 it's been legalized and is more widely accepted as a choice. The world has changed from the past, and it will constantly change. What we believed 50 years ago, are not the same beliefs we have now. Blade Runner is an example of how much society has changed; how society looked at the future then, to how society would look at the future now.

1 comment:

  1. I find it surreal that this novel takes place 6 years from now!! its incredible to me that this is what 2021 is thought to be like. I also find it interesting that, despite being a "chickenhead", Isidore is one of the most empathetic and most "human" characters in the entire novel. It's crazy that even a mere 50 years ago we have changed so much, makes me think how the world will be in another 50 years.

    ReplyDelete