Thursday 4 June 2015

Ramtin Journal Entry #1

Though I find the genres of science fiction, action, and adventure interesting, I did not think that the beginning of this book compared well with other books I have read from these genres. This is largely due to the book being very slow and boring in the first four chapters. In my opinion, the author put more information than was necessary in the early chapters. One example of this would be the long conversation Rick Deckard had with his neighbour in the later parts of chapter one. The only important facts from this six page conversation were that in this society, everyone was expected to have a real animal, and that Rick only has a fake one. This conversation made the book start very slowly and gave me the impression that the rest of the book would be the same way. I believe that the most important part of a book is often the beginning because it sets the stage for the rest of the book. Also, the author failed to give readers anything to anticipate or look forward to in the early chapters due to the lack of action. The book tried to show the everyday life of Rick Deckard in this futuristic setting in the first four chapters. Unfortunately, this was very uneventful and once again gave more information than was necessary to the reader. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice, very deep, very well thought out. Well done Ramtin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry!!! I am curious however, how you felt about the book after finishing it. I personally felt that the book peaked around chapter 13 before plateauing. But, I am curious about how you personally felt.

    ReplyDelete