Sunday 14 June 2015

Journal Entry: What does this book say about life?

Where most people would interpret this question as "What was Philip K. Dick saying about life?" I take this question a different way. After reading this book, I interpret this question as "What does this book make you think about life?"

After reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" I thought about how Philip thought of how our society would be (considering this book is set like 6 years away from our time). He thought that we would be overtaken by war, that there would be barely any animals left and that we would still be judged for being different. Blade Runner made me think of how lucky we are, that even though we do get judged for being different, it's not as bad as Isidore was. Even though some animals are going extinct, we still have thousands of species, after reading about how Deckard was embarrassed to have an electric sheep, it made me feel lucky about having my horse and dog. The author of this book made our future seem sad and bleak, the way the author made the future sound makes me appreciate what we have now more. We don't have to live with fake animals, we haven't been overtaken by war and we have the freedom to express ourselves.

What I think this book says about life is that we should appreciate the life we have, and not take anything for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment